If you are seeking a career at TMLT, then you are seeking an opportunity to build a career in an energetic and growing organization. We not only offer dynamic career opportunities, but a competitive salary and generous benefits package that include medical, dental, life and disability insurance, paid vacation time, performance-based bonuses, professional development opportunities, a 401(k) plan with a matching contribution, a discretionary profit sharing contribution, and a unique defined benefit plan.
CURRENT CAREER OPPORTUNITIES
TMLT is seeking a claim supervisor who will be primarily responsible for the coordination and the resolution of medical malpractice claims brought against our policyholders. This process includes investigation, evaluation, and negotiation, as well as supervision of defense counsel on cases with a potentially moderate to severe exposure.
Responsibilities of this position include:
- Verify coverage as determined by claim technician and perform the prompt investigation of liability and potential damages of assigned claims.
- Ensure proper evaluation and reserving of assigned claims.
- Develop claim files on assigned cases, documenting all transactions related to file handling.
- Report progress and results in a timely manner and in accordance with claim department directives.
- Negotiate directly with claimants and/or their legal representatives; is responsible for the prompt and proper disposition of all claims.
- Select and assign defense counsel; work closely with defense counsel to control use of discovery proceedings and to ensure effective defense of suits.
- Control expenses, including reasonableness of attorneys' fees.
- Seek standard of care opinions from outside consultants. Suggest additions and/or deletions to consultant list.
- Attend and monitor trials.
- Conduct on-site visits, on an annual basis, to defense attorneys' offices to evaluate and review the lawsuit audit reports completed by the law firms. Also complete law firm audit reports on the defense attorneys.
- Complete State Board of Insurance reporting form (if required) and national data bank reporting form (if required), upon closing a claim.
- Attend and participate in Claim Review Committee (CRC) meetings, as scheduled. Prepare and pose questions to CRC members on medical aspects of selected cases.
- Supervise and evaluate claim technician regularly; complete a written appraisal and provide guidance to insure maximum performance and individual growth.
The desired skills for this position include:
- Basic knowledge of database utilization and MicroSoft Office, Word, Excel, and internal programs.
- Knowledge and understanding of basic professional liability insurance contracts, regulations, and litigation.
- Effective interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to provide information in a clear, concise manner.
- Basic knowledge of the practice of medicine and of medical terminology.
- Demonstrated claim file supervisory skills.
- Effective analytical skills to gather information, analyze facts, and draw conclusions.
- Ability to present facts and recommendations effectively in oral and written form to management, policyholders, and defense counsel.
- Ability to work with frequent interruptions.
- Ability to supervise and motivate.
Requirements for this position include:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- A minimum of seven to ten years of progressively responsible experience in the property and casualty insurance field, professional liability experience (physicians liability experience a plus) and bodily injury claims handling required.
- Adjuster’s License. Incumbents meeting other selection criteria except possession of Adjuster’s License will be required to obtain a Texas Casualty Adjuster’s License within a period of six months of employment and is responsible for maintaining license requirements.
- Moderate travel, including overnight stays.
TMLT is seeking a production underwriter who will be responsible for the development and management of medical professional liability coverage by creating and maintaining relationships with health care providers, health care administrators and/or appointed agents. This candidate will consistently apply underwriting standards and deliver high quality customer service to clients.
The individual in this position should have:
- Knowledge of professional liability insurance underwriting fundamentals and principles
- Strong analytical and problem-solving aptitude
- Detail-oriented nature and the ability to produce highly accurate work
- Methodical reasoning, resourceful decision making
- The ability to function within a team environment
- Leadership and empowerment skills
- The ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent time-management and prioritization skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft applications such as Word and Excel as well as Image Right
- Professional and concise written and oral communication skills necessary as well as solid presentation skills
Bachelor's degree preferred. Certification in professional insurance programs such as RPLU or CPCU preferred, but not required. A minimum of three years of casualty underwriting experience and history of new business production required, with medical professional liability experience preferred. At least one year direct supervisory experience needed. Moderate travel required, including overnight stays.
Must obtain Texas Department of Insurance General Lines Agent License within six months of employment and is responsible for maintaining license requirements.
HOW TO APPLY
Texas Medical Liability Trust
Attn: Human Resources
P.O. Box 160140
Austin, Texas 78716